Fairleigh Dickinson University is ranked among the best universities in the North region by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Colleges 2019.
If you’re a current or aspiring professional, the online Master of Arts in Student Services Administration at Fairleigh Dickinson University can help you build or advance your career in higher education. The program prepares you for roles in administrative and student support services within the higher education sector, offering both the theoretical and practical training you need to professionally advance.
Throughout the program, you’ll have the opportunity to develop critical leadership skills and gain an in-depth understanding of the complex challenges facing colleges and universities today. To better fit your individual career goals, our program allows you to customize 18 hours of coursework in electives to further develop your knowledge of administration, admission, financial aid, risk management and more.
Key topics in the online master’s in student administration program include:
- Theory and practice of college student development
- Current issues in higher education
- College governance
- Program development and planning
- Budgets and resource acquisition
- Legal issues within higher education and student affairs
- Technology in higher education
- Multiculturalism and diversity
- Adult and continuing education
- Residential life
- Public relations
- Financial aid
- Campus safety and security
- Crisis management
- Grant writing
- Financial issues in higher education
To ensure you gain hands-on training, the program requires a master’s project and an internship. Through these experiences, you will learn how to synchronize your knowledge and apply it practically to the real world.
At FDU, you’ll learn from dynamic faculty with years of experience in their fields. Plus, you’ll benefit from the flexibility of an online education, which allows you to fit your education around a schedule that works for you.
Courses and Requirements
- MSSA 6601 Research Methods
- MSSA 6602 College Student Development
- MSSA 6603 Social Issues in Higher Education
- MSSA 6604 Governance, Planning, and Finance in Higher Education
- MSSA 6605 The Law and Student Affairs
- MSSA 6606 Student Services Internship*
- MSSA 6100 Master Project (0 credits)
*Student may complete internship after completing 9 credits. Student is responsible for identifying and securing their own internship with the approval of their advisor.
Choose six courses from the following list:
- MSSA 6608 Technology Foundations in Higher Education
- MSSA 6610 Multiculturalism, Diversity, and Difference: Theory, Research, and Practice in Student Affairs
- MSSA 6611 Program Design and Instructional Strategies for Adults in Higher Education
- MSSA 6612 Program Design and Strategies for Special Populations in Higher Education
- MSSA 6613 Post-secondary Student Affairs Issues and Management
- MSSA 6614 Administration of College Financial Aid
- MSSA 6616 Threat Assessment and Risk Analysis in Higher Education
- MSSA 6617 Crisis Management for Higher Education Administrators
- MSSA 6618 Impact of Terrorism on College Safety
- MSSA 6619 Grant Writing and Administration in Higher Education
- MSSA 6620 Marketing and Promotion for College Sports
- MSSA 6622 Financial Administration in College Sports
- MSSA 6623 Legal Issues in Domestic College Sports
- MSSA 6626 Mentoring Students for Success
Applicants to the online M.A. in Student Services Administration program will need to submit the following:
- Graduate application form
- Official transcripts
- Current resume
Applicants must possess a four-year degree from an accredited college or university, during which they must have maintained a GPA of 2.75 or higher. This program does not require GMAT or GRE scores for admission.