Silberman College of Business is ranked among "The Best 267 Business Schools" by Princeton Review (2018 edition).
Train for a career as a certified public accountant (CPA) with Fairleigh Dickinson University’s online Master of Science in Accounting. Our celebrated program has received the Innovation in Accounting Education Award from the American Accounting Association, and is specifically built for students who want to advance in their financial careers.
At FDU, we don’t require you to have an accounting background; we welcome students with undergraduate degrees in any field. Coursework in this online accounting degree focuses on helping you prepare to take the CPA exam, and build a relevant skillset for ongoing career success.
Key topics covered in the online accounting master’s program include:
- Financial theory
- Taxation of business entities
- Public offerings
- SEC reporting and compliance
- Accounting in regulated industries
- Analytic methods and statistics
- Uniform Commercial Code and applied business law
- Securities and Exchange Acts
- Client needs in accounting practice
- Revenue recognition and asset valuation
- US/International accounting standards
With an online master’s in Accounting from Fairleigh Dickinson University, you’ll graduate from the program with the critical thinking, ethical decision-making, communication, and technological skills you need to thrive in the next stage of your career.
The program is taught by highly qualified professors with real-world experience. In addition, all students benefit from the program’s fully online format. Because the program allows you to attend class when and where it’s right for you, you can earn your degree while still maintaining your professional as well as personal commitments.
Courses and Requirements
The online master’s in Accounting is designed to help students successfully train for the CPA exam. In a community of scholars, FDU helps participants master their abilities through advanced education.
You can complete the curriculum for this degree even if you have not earned an undergraduate degree in Accounting. However, the requirements for the NJ CPA examination have changed, effective June 2017. In addition to 24 credits of accounting courses, 24 credits of business courses are also required. Six credits of business courses are already included in this program. Students without an undergraduate degree in business will need an additional 18 credits of business courses to be eligible to sit for the CPA exam in New Jersey.
At least one undergraduate course in financial accounting is required for admission into the program. Students with comparable graduate coursework may request a waiver from the department chair.
- ACCT 5012 Financial Accounting, End-user Applications
- ACCT 6605 Federal Tax I
- ACCT 6606 Federal Tax II
- ACCT 6630 Intermediate Financial Accounting 1
- ACCT 6635 Intermediate Financial Accounting 2
- ACCT 6640 Advanced Financial Accounting
- ACCT 6617 Cost: Measurement, Planning, and Control
- ACCT 6618 Auditing Concepts and Methods
- ACCT 6680 Selected Accounting Topics
- FIN 6020 Finance for Accountants**
- LAW 6657 Applied Business Law
**ACCT/TAX course may be substituted with documentation of equivalent finance class
Applicants to the online MS. In Accounting program will need to submit the following:
- Graduate application form
- Official transcripts
- GMAT/GRE scores***
- A current resume
All applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
***This requirement may be waived if certain criteria are met.