Fairleigh Dickinson University is ranked among the best universities in the North region by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Colleges 2019.
There are nearly 2.9 million registered nurses in the United States, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. However, less than 20 percent of RNs have earned credentials to become a nurse practitioner. Become the reliable medical authority your community needs with Fairleigh Dickinson’s online MSN – Family Nurse Practitioner degree.
This program will deepen your understanding of diverse treatment methods as you prepare to diagnose and treat patients of all ages. Upon completion of the program, you’ll be prepared to take the family nurse practitioner certification exam and begin your new career in nursing leadership.
Our online MSN program prepares you to:
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of diverse medical conditions
- Accurately diagnose patients of all ages
- Develop effective treatment plans for patients of all ages
- Effectively use information technology to conduct extensive research on medical conditions and the latest treatment methods
- Apply accurate research to the practice
- Successfully take the family nurse practitioner certification exam
- Gain necessary preparation for doctoral study
Key topics of study include:
- Nursing philosophies
- Evidence-based practices
- Theory development
- Advanced research
- Primary care
- Family systems
Offered through Fairleigh Dickinson’s online learning platform, this program’s courses are accompanied by the flexibility to learn at your own pace while completing coursework on your own time.
In addition to an interactive curriculum guided by expert educators, you’ll also receive hands-on clinical experiences through exclusive practicum opportunities. Focusing on your personal educational and professional goals, practicum hours can be completed in the areas of your choice. A total of 640 clinical hours are required upon completion of the program.
Courses and Requirements
Designed to propel registered nurses into meaningful full-care, autonomous roles, Fairleigh Dickinson’s online MSN – Family Nurse Practitioner degree requires students to complete a total of 37 credits in addition to 640 clinical hours.
- NURS 6600 Intro to Advanced Nursing Philosophies, Theories, Roles & Issues
- NURS 7701 Theory Development and Advanced Research
- NURS 7752 Master’s Project
- NURS7702 Advanced Pathophysiology
- NURS6620 Advanced Health Assessment
- NURS6621 Advanced Health Assessment: Practicum
- NURS6615 Advanced Pharmacology
- NURS6682 Advanced Nursing: Primary Care I
- NURS6683 Advanced Nursing: Primary Care I Practicum
- NURS7735 Advanced Nursing: Primary Care II
- NURS7736 Advanced Nursing: Primary Care II Practicum
- NURS7794 Advanced Nursing: Family Primary Care I
- NURS7795 Advanced Nursing: Family Primary Care I: Practicum
- NURS7810 Advanced Nursing: Family Primary Care II
- NURS7811 Advanced Nursing: Family Primary Care II: Practicum
- NURS7812 Family Systems
To be considered for admission into this program, applicants must have:
- A completed Graduate Admissions Application.
- A Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree from an accredited institution with a minimum 3.0.
- One year of clinical nursing practice.
- All official college transcripts.
- Two letters of recommendation (one employer and one academic).
- Copy of your NJ nursing license.
- A course in health assessment is required for all nurse practitioner tracks.
- Clinical clearance requirements. View here.