Fairleigh Dickinson University is ranked among the best universities in the North region by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Colleges 2022.
As a rapidly growing job sector, the field of nursing requires an increasing number of effective educators to teach the next generation of practitioners. Fulfill this need and advance your career with the online MSN in Nursing Education at Fairleigh Dickinson University.
The online MSN program prepares you to become an instructor in collegiate nursing programs. Through a state-of-the-art curriculum, you’ll acquire the training you need to effectively work with students, parents, and patients.
Our online MSN program prepares you to:
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge in nursing education
- Implement an advanced practice role that incorporates the values of holistic caring and competence
- Use conceptual frameworks to guide the implementation and evaluation of nursing education
- Effectively use information technology to support teaching strategies in advanced practice roles within diverse global communities
- Advance nursing science and practice through scholarly pursuits and collaboration
- Critically evaluate research for application to advanced practice roles
- Demonstrate competence in evaluation of practice and program outcomes
- Interpret the impact of global, historical, political, legal, bioethical, economic, and organizational factors on health care the educational environment
- Gain necessary preparation for doctoral study
Key topics of study include:
- Nursing theory
- Evidence based-practice
- Quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Traditional and non-traditional approaches in care
- Philosophies of education
- Teaching strategies
- Curriculum development
- Methods of evaluation
In addition, you’ll have the opportunity to gain real-world training and apply your knowledge through a 3-credit advanced nursing practicum. This practicum is individually tailored to your goals.
Because the online MSN in Nursing Education is offered primarily in a digital format, you’ll have the flexibility you need to earn your degree and advance your career on a schedule that’s right for you.
Courses and Requirements
The online MSN in Nursing Education is designed to help working nurses reach the next stage of their careers. In a community of scholars, FDU helps participants to master their abilities through advanced education. The curriculum consists of eight credits in core requirements and 27 credits of specialized focus, for a total of 35 credits.
- NURS 6600 Intro to Advanced Nursing Philosophies, Theories, Roles & Issues
- NURS 7820 Translating Research into Evidence Based Practice
- NURS 6615 Advanced Pharmacology
- NURS 6620 Advanced Health Assessment: Theory
- NURS 6621 Advanced Health Assessment: Practicum
- NURS 7702 Advanced Pathophysiology
- NURS 7705 Educational and Learning Theory
- NURS 7706 Teaching Strategies for the Learning Environment
- NURS 7713 Curriculum Development and Theory
- NURS 7714 Measurement and Evaluation
- NURS 7722 Advanced Nursing Care Practicum
- NURS 7771 Seminar in Nursing Education
Applicants to the online MSN in Nursing Education program must meet the following admission requirements:
- Graduate application form
- Official transcripts
- Current NJ Registered Nurse License
- Must have at least one year of clinical nursing experience
- A personal interview may be required
- Two letters of recommendation (one employer and one academic)
- A personal statement
Applicants must have a BSN degree from an accredited college or university, during which they must have maintained a GPA of 3.2 or higher.