Fairleigh Dickinson University welcomes students with previous college experience. Below are our basic policies. Contact your enrollment counselor to learn how your academic history can translate to an FDU degree.

Graduate Credit Transfer

Transfer Credit

Graduate credits earned at another accredited institution may be accepted in transfer, in accordance with the curricular requirements of the degree program and the academic policies of the colleges. Generally, transfer credit will be considered for those courses completed within the last five years in which a grade of B or better has been earned. A maximum of nine credits may be accepted in transfer.

Academic course waivers are available in some graduate degree programs, including the M.B.A. Graduate prerequisite course work may be waived for students who have completed relevant undergraduate course work, with appropriate grades, within the last five years. Application for transfer or waiver credit is made through the academic school or department in conjunction with the Office of Enrollment Services.

To request a transfer or waiver evaluation, the student must submit an official transcript and course description. A request for an official evaluation of transfer or waiver credit should be concurrent with the student’s admission to the program. In some degree programs, students may be required to submit challenge exam scores to receive transfer or waiver credit.

Undergraduate Credit Transfer

Transfer Students and Advanced Standing

These students have graduated from an accredited secondary school (high school) and have completed 24 or more college-credit hours at an accredited post-secondary institution other than Fairleigh Dickinson University.

Transfer applicants must submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. Any student who has earned 24 or more credits of satisfactory course work does not need to submit a high school transcript for admission unless requested.

Evaluation of Previous Academic Work

Students with an Associate in Arts (AA) or an Associate in Science (AS) Degree can transfer in a maximum of 64 credits. Students from other four-year institutions can transfer in up to 96 credits. Course work with earned grades of A through C will be considered for transfer credit.

Community College Transfer Students

Fairleigh Dickinson University has articulation agreements with all New Jersey county and community colleges. Prospective county and community college transfer students are encouraged to contact the transfer counselor at their community college for more information or call the FDU Admissions Office at (800) 338-8803.

For more information on transferring courses from a community college to a four-year college or university in New Jersey, visit njtransfer.org.

Grades and Grade Points

For new students, transfer credits will not be computed in the cumulative grade-point ratio (CGPR) earned at Fairleigh Dickinson University.

Residency Requirements/Time Limit on Degree

A transfer student may receive credit for either formal course work or through proficiency examination to the extent that the credits transferred do not circumvent existing university policy requiring a minimum of 30 credits in residence including at least 50 percent of the credits required for the major. In instances in which only the minimum number of credits are completed at Fairleigh Dickinson University, they must be taken in a time sequence equivalent to the seventh- and eighth-semester standing of the baccalaureate study.

Any course work completed more than 10 years before the projected date of degree completion (including work for which credit is transferred from another college) must be evaluated for currency. If deemed appropriate, the department will design a course of study to familiarize the student with more recent developments. The individual program will be outlined in writing to the student.