Fairleigh Dickinson University is ranked #16 in Best Value Schools for 2021 by U.S. News & World Report.
If you’re a current or aspiring professional, the master’s in higher education administration online degree at Fairleigh Dickinson University can help you build or advance your career in higher education. The program prepares you for roles in administrative and student support services within the higher education sector, offering both the theoretical and practical training you need to professionally advance.
Throughout the program, you’ll have the opportunity to develop critical leadership skills and gain an in-depth understanding of the complex challenges facing colleges and universities today. To better fit your individual career goals, our program allows you to customize 18 hours of coursework in electives to further develop your knowledge of administration, admission, financial aid, risk management and more.
Key topics in the online master’s in higher education administration online degree program include:
- Theory and practice of college student development
- Current issues in higher education
- College governance
- Program development and planning
- Budgets and resource acquisition
- Legal issues within higher education and student affairs
- Technology in higher education
- Multiculturalism and diversity
- Adult and continuing education
- Residential life
- Public relations
- Financial aid
- Campus safety and security
- Crisis management
- Grant writing
- Financial issues in higher education
To ensure you gain hands-on training, the program requires a master’s project and an internship. Through these experiences, you will learn how to synchronize your knowledge and apply it practically to the real world.
At FDU, you’ll learn from dynamic faculty with years of experience in their fields. Plus, you’ll benefit from the flexibility of an online education, which allows you to fit your education around a schedule that works for you.
Path to Doctor of Education – Higher Learning:
Master’s in higher education administration online students can receive advanced standing into the Ed.D. in Higher Education program upon admission. You can apply 6–9 credits of your 36-credit M.A. in Higher Education Administration degree towards the 45-credit Ed.D. upon admission.
Once in the M.A. in Higher Education Administration, students must be accepted into the Ed.D. program and maintain the required GPA and program requirements to advance to the Ed.D.
The Ed.D. in Higher Education is a fully online 45-credit program designed to bring fresh insights to the critical issues facing colleges and universities. Our practitioner-driven degree offers immediate real-world application and can be completed in 26 months without career interruption. The curriculum provides a strong understanding of the history, culture and structure of higher education and a firm foundation in such operational areas as enrollment management, leadership, strategic planning and use of data analytics to understand the systemic issues affecting higher education today.
Courses and Requirements
- MSSA 6601 Research Methods
- MSSA 6602 College Student Development
- MSSA 6603 Social Issues in Higher Education
- MSSA 6604 Governance, Planning and Finance in Higher Education
- MSSA 6605 The Law and Student Affairs
- MSSA 6606 Student Services Internship*
- MSSA 6100 Master Project
- MSSA 6612 Program Design and Strategies for Special Populations in Higher Education
- MSSA 6617 Crisis Management for Higher Education Administrators
- MSSA 6619 Grant Writing and Administration in Higher Education
- MSSA 6622 Financial Administration in College Sports
- MSSA 6626 Mentoring Students for Success
*Students may complete an internship after completing 9 credits. Students are responsible for identifying and securing their own internships with the approval of their advisors.
Applicants to the master’s in higher education administration online program will need to submit the following:
- Graduate application form
- Official transcripts
- Current resume
- A personal statement
Applicants must possess a four-year degree from an accredited college or university, during which they must have maintained a GPA of 2.75 or higher. This program does not require GMAT or GRE scores for admission.