Fairleigh Dickinson University is ranked among the best universities in the North region by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Colleges 2019.
As education advances with modern technology and innovation, language remains an obstacle for many students. Language barriers often create challenges for non-English speakers and students with disabilities, which is why teachers with ESL certification are a vital factor in today’s academic landscape. Fairleigh Dickinson University’s ESL certificate online program is a flexible and affordable option for teachers interested in eliminating language barriers and making a difference in the lives of their students.
The New Jersey Department of Education requires ESL teachers to demonstrate oral and written language proficiency, and FDU’s ESL certificate ensures you will graduate prepared to meet these requirements. Through six thought-provoking courses founded on educational innovation, the ESL certification program meets the NJDOE requirements and equips you for success in diverse ESL classrooms.
Our online ESL certificate program helps you develop career enhancing competencies in areas such as:
- Applied linguistics
- Literacy development
- Learning strategies for second-language learners
- Behavioral science
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Special education methods
Created as an educational solution for working teachers, the online ESL certification program is conveniently delivered through FDU’s online classroom. With flexible course options, unlimited online access to coursework and the opportunity to interact online with experienced educators, you’ll have the freedom to learn on your time and complete the program at a pace that works for you.
Courses and Requirements
The ESL certification online program offers a curriculum that combines innovative teaching techniques with a deep understanding of behavioral science and learning methods. ESL Certificate for NJ students will explore topics relevant to today’s educational systems and graduate with professional skills necessary to teach English in a variety of settings.
- EDUC 6565 Second-Language Acquisition: Methods and Curriculum
- EDUC 6574 Applied Linguistics for Language Teachers
- EDUC 6631 Assessment in the Second-Language Classroom
- EDUC 6654 Literacy Development for Second-Language Learners
- EDUC 6661 Behavioral Science for Teachers: The Multicultural Classroom
- EDUC 6740 Introduction to Students with Disabilities and Autism Spectrum Disorder
All applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. In addition, applicants must provide:
- Graduate application form
- Evidence of a standard New Jersey teaching certificate
- Official transcripts*
- Two letters of recommendation
* A minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA is required.